Thursday, March 15, 2012

Quinoa and Turkey Stuffed Peppers

Todd and I love these.  My friend gave me the recipe which came from the Dr. Oz show.  They're healthy and delicious!  You need to pre-plan to make this meal because it does take a little time.  Not too bad though.  A good idea is to just cook the rice and quinoa during the day and then just stick it in the fridge until you're ready to add it.  If you do that, you'll cut a lot of time when you go to put it together.

3-4 red, yellow or orange bell peppers
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion (I don't use a whole onion, just what looks good)
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
16 oz ground turkey
16 oz salsa
2 C spinach, chopped
1 C cooked quinoa (Make sure to rinse it first.  I then cooked it in chicken broth which added some good flavor)
1 C cooked brown rice
Cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 375.  Cut and hollow out peppers.  Spread 1/2 olive oil on the peppers and bake covered for 15-20 min.  Saute onion, garlic, salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin in oil.  Brown turkey.  Add salsa and spinach.  Cook 5 min.  Add quinoa and brown rice.  Fill peppers.  Cover and bake 20-25 min.  Remove foil.  Sprinkle cheese.  Bake additional 7-10 min.  Top with avocado and sour cream.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I forgot to say one thing. When I cut the peppers, I cut them in half down the middle long ways so that one pepper gives 2 servings. Hopefully that makes sense.